Navigating New Terrain in EL Education
The 2019 WAESOL Conference Planning Committee invites you to submit a proposal to present at this year’s conference taking place on Saturday October 26, 2019, with our pre-conference workshops on Friday October 25, 2019. We will again be at Renton Technical College in Renton, WA.
Proposals will be accepted until September 4, 2019. Please read the following information and scroll down to submit your conference proposal.
Please prepare your submissions outside of the system and check your word counts. Then copy and paste the information into the form. Proposals not adhering to the guidelines or exceeding the word counts will not be considered.
Session Title: 10 word limit. Use Title Case.
Session Description: 300 word limit (2000 characters). Full description of session for reviewers. This will not appear in the conference program.
Abstract for Program: 50 word limit (360 characters). This will appear in the program both online and in print.
Speaker Biographies: 100 word limit per presenter. Will appear only online. Please note that speaker photo is optional.
Categories to Highlight the 2019 Theme:
- Navigating TESOL Career Paths: Shifting into materials writing, K-12 certification, instructional design, editing, etc.
- Changing Demographics in K-12, adult, and post-secondary language institutions
- Supporting Students with Disabilities
- Policy and Advocacy in a time of change
- Technology and language learning: instructional design, assessment, etc.
- Instructional Strategies
- Other relevant topics
Session Formats: 45 minute Sessions
- Teaching Demonstration – A teaching demonstration is used for showing rather than telling about a technique. Presenter’s statement of theory should take no longer than five minutes.
- Workshop – A session which is oriented toward teaching practice. Workshops provide participants the opportunity to actively participate. Emphasis on providing hands-on experience rather than lecturing.
- Research Paper /Report – Papers or reports should be based on current research and theory. They should also provide a practical benefit to the audience.
- Panel – A panel provides both formal presentation and participant discussion. Panels generally have 10-15 minute presentations by panel members under the guidance of a chairperson who moderates the discussion period and summarizes the session at its conclusion. The organizer should submit a summary outlining the topic and objectives.
- Informational Session – An informational session provides participants with important information about a specific topic. While the topics may be varied in scope, the primary purpose is to inform participants on new or updated information pertaining to the instruction of English learners and language minority students and to changes/updates in policy and planning.
- Poster Session – A poster session allows for informal discussion about pedagogy and/or research between the participants and the presenter(s) during the time the exhibit is on display.
- Proposals may be submitted by any individual or association interested in the goals and purposes of WAESOL.
- All presenters must register for the conference and pay the conference fee. If your proposal is accepted, one presenter will receive a discount on the conference registration fee (please note, this discount cannot be shared or divided). Details will follow upon notification of acceptance. (Note: The discount is limited to one presenter registration per session.)
- If a proposal involves more than one presenter, please include a biographical statement for each presenter on the submission form. The presenter designated in the speaker section is responsible for notifying the other presenters of the proposal’s status.
- WAESOL will not reimburse presenters for expenses associated with the conference, including travel, living expenses, the cost of producing visual aids, handouts, or any other expense.
- Please carefully follow the submission rules. You are advised to save your submission proposal on your computer, since our system does not include a “save” function on the submission form.
- Detailed Instructions to Presenters will be provided one month prior to the conference.
- Notification of acceptance will be made via e-mail by September 15th.
Consent: Please note that by registering and attending WAESOL’s conference, you agree to allow our organization to record and reproduce your image or voice in photographs, videotapes, audiotapes, and any other methods of reproduction now and in the future.