The 2017 WAESOL Conference Committee invites you to submit a proposal for this year’s conference.
The conference takes place Saturday October 21, 2017 and our pre-conference event on Friday October 20, 2017
Please note, we are returning to Highline College in Des Moines, WA.
Submission is now closed. For information on how proposals are evaluated, please click HERE.
Types of submissions
Teaching Demonstration (45 min)
- A teaching demonstration is used for showing rather than telling about a technique. Presenter’s statement of theory should take no longer than five minutes.
Research Paper /Report (45 min)
- Papers or reports should be based on current research and theory. They should also provide a practical benefit to the audience.
Panel (45 min)
- A panel provides both formal presentation and participant discussion. Panels generally have 10-15 minute presentations by panel members under the guidance of a chairperson who moderates the discussion period and summarizes the session at its conclusion. The organizer should submit a summary outlining the topic and objectives.
Informational Session (45 min) – NEW
- An informational session provides participants with important information about a specific topic. While the topics may be varied in scope, the primary purpose is to inform participants on new or updated information pertaining to the instruction of English learners and language minority students and to changes/updates in policy and planning.
*Workshop* (90 min)
- A session which is oriented toward teaching practice. Workshops provide participants the opportunity to actively participate. Emphasis on providing hands-on experience rather than lecturing.
- Important consideration: WAESOL can only accommodate a select number of 90-min workshops. We encourage you to consider shorter sessions.
Poster Session (45 minutes)
- A poster session allows for informal discussion about pedagogy and/or research between the participants and the presenter(s) during the time the exhibit is on display.
General Guidelines (Please read carefully.)
- Proposals may be submitted by any individual or association interested in the goals and purposes of WAESOL.
- All presenters must register for the conference and pay the conference fee. If your proposal is accepted, one presenter will receive a discount on the conference registration fee (please note, this discount cannot be shared or divided). Details will follow upon notification of acceptance. (Note: The discount is limited to one presenter registration per session.)
- If a proposal involves more than one presenter, please include a biographical statement for each presenter on the submission form to follow. The presenter designated in the correspondence section of this form is responsible for notifying the other presenters of the proposal’s status.
- WAESOL will not reimburse presenters for expenses associated with the conference, including travel, living expenses, the cost of producing visual aids, handouts, or any other expense.
- Please carefully follow the submission rules. You are advised to save your submission proposal on your computer, since our system does not include a “save” function on the submission form to follow.
- Detailed Instructions to Presenters will be provided one month prior to the conference.
- Notification of acceptance will be made via e-mail by September 1, 2017.
Consent: Please note that by registering and attending WAESOL’s conference, you agree to allow our organization to record and reproduce your image or voice in photographs, videotapes, audiotapes, and any other methods of reproduction now and in the future.